According to Anthony Robbins , to effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others. So it is paramount we know how to pass our message or information across in a way that the recipient will easily understand to avoid miscommunication.
Effective communication is needed for growth and development of any organization even friendships and our day to day lives. It helps us to build healthy relationships and credibility with the people we work with and even live with. Generally, communication helps us to understand others. The inability to communicate can lead to a lot of problems both personally and professionally.
We must understand that communication is a continuous and irreversible process. It is reciprocal in nature. It is an ongoing process.
Features of Communication
– it involves at least two or more person
– Information/ideas are always passed across
– It’s a continuous process
– Mutual understanding
There are different categories of communication.
* Spoken or Verbal Communication; this is the use of words to share information with people. It can therefore include both spoken and written communication. It includes face-to-face conversation, telephone, radio or television and other media.
* Written Communication: Is making use of written words to deliver information. This includes the use of letters, e-mails, social media, books, magazines, the Internet and other media.
* Non-Verbal communication: this is also known as body language. It is the way you listen, the way you look, your body movement and posture, your ability to maintain eye contact, your voice, your use of physical space. All these pass a message across. The aforementioned are often done instinctively rather than consciously.
Importance of communication
1. It helps to avoid misunderstandings
2. It helps in strengthening relationships
3. It relieves mental and physical stress
4. It links people collectively to achieve common goal.
5. Effective communication is required to deal with various crises and issues of interests in an organization.
6. Good communication passes information along.
7. People with effective communication skills are more confident. Good communication skill gives you a high self esteem.
How to improve your communication skills
1. Be a good listener. Pay close attention to what people say
2. Your body language is important. When you appear to be relaxed, you automatically look approachable.
3. Eye contact is important in communication. It shows confidence and that you are focused on the conversation.
4. Be open minded, don’t be quick to judge.
5. Respecting what the other person has to say and acknowledge it as an important aspect of communication. Don’t make them feel or look stupid.
In our day to day activities, communication plays an important role in making interaction faster.
We as a social being our only way to solve any problem with encounter is by communicating effectively. Without communication, we cannot successfully live in the society as it is a requirement for our everyday lifestyle.